The Gotobeds have been one of our favorite young American rock bands for a couple years at this point and we’re delighted to be releasing an LP combining their first demo, two amazing singles and a beautiful new Karl Hendricks Trio cover this October. Pre-orders are available now (white + black vinyl options). The band should also have copies with them on their September tour dates (listed below). – JS / CMO
Curious aesthetes! Cursorily interested parties! Whatever the opposite of well-wishers are! You are each are invited to re-examine The Gotobeds’ past that is contained herein.
These sounds represent the embryonic stages of said band – Five songs are culled from their unfortunately-titled 2012 demo tape “Fucking in the Future,” four are from the Mind Cure 45s “Ipso Facto” and “NY’s Alright,” as well as a recently-recorded cover of “Flowers Avenue,” a song by their dearly-departed friend and Pittsburgh music legend Karl Hendricks.
From demo to forever-out-of-print 7”s to the cover, “Fucking in the Future +5” spans the earliest recording of the band to the their most-recent (the Karl Hendricks track was recorded in March 2017).
Boy how they’ve grown! When the band convened on the studio for the first time ever as a unit in those halcyon days of 2012, it was a bleak scene. The drummer forgot his floor tom. The bass speaker had torn recently and was not replaced. The singer was at the mercy of the final stages of mono and the guitarist didn’t show up for live tracking (due to a previous night of gambling at the casino).
Little has changed however. During the final take of “Flowers Avenue,” drummer Getty Images dropped his stick at a thrilling climax during the solo (check the 4:10 mark) and the band – assuming the take was a throwaway – played harder and took more risks with their improvised parts, lending the song a looser and more exciting feel than previous takes. Happy accidents are what the band trades in.
The rest is allmusic.com history. The Gotobeds went on from their initial recordings to the WFMU studios, into Gerard Cosloy’s hands for their debut LP on 12XU, the brilliantly titled Poor People Are Revolting, to critical darlings and eventually the cut-out bin at Sub Pop’s airport store.
From there, who knows?
“Fucking in the Future +5” (cmo042) will be released through Comedy Minus One on October 13, 2017 with advance copies available through comedyminusone.com and from The Gotobeds themselves on tour in advance of that date.
New Dress (Debutante)
New York Swagger
(I Wasn’t Made) For These Times
Ipso Facto (It’s All Happening)
New York’s Alright (If You Like Sex & Phones)
Prisoners of Love
- This is the first time the entire GTB demo tape has been available on vinyl!
- Remastered by Mr. Matthew Barnhart at Chicago Mastering Service (if you know, you know).
- The two Mind Cure 7”s are out of print FOREVER. These tracks are now only available here (smart ass, it’s a different version of “NY’s Alright” OK???).
- Includes a brand NEW cover of The Karl Hendricks Trio’s “Flowers Avenue” exclusive to this release. Hazy Lazer cried while singing it.
- Gorgeous new full color artwork.
- Limited to 500 copies, with the first 200 pressed on white vinyl. Buy now or scan Discogs later!!!
- The Gotobeds will be touring and out supporting The Fall, Thee Oh Sees, Royal Headache, The Apples In Stereo, Waxahatchee, Protomartyr and really, anyone else worth seeing in 2017.
The Gotobeds on tour:
Wednesday, August 9
Thursday, August 10
Georgia Theater (Athens Popfest)
with Apples In Stereo, Waxahatchee, more
Friday, August 11
Saturday, August 12
Saturday, August 26
Wind Up Space
with Dark Blue, Birth Defects
Wednesday, September 6
with Protomartyr, Melkbelly
Friday, September 15
Jersey City, NJ
with Protomartyr, Big Quiet
Saturday, September 16
with Thee Oh Sees